7.05.2003

The war of information

This article from the Bostin Globe has a great point about keeping an eye on those who keep an eye on 'tings. However, I am one who hopes for a system where holding office is a temporary place of honor, integrity, and public works, not a place where you lose all privacy and live under a microscope. That said Technology has the opportunity to disrupt the balance of power held in a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, especially when that government has control of information and the people do not. The proper response to camera's pointing at the private sector is to point them at the public sector as well. Hopefully those with a brain will see that the line between public and private would be forever ruined and scrap the whole notion altogether. However, until then we fight fire with fire.

UPDATE: I was recently informed that I was (among other names) "subversive". A visitor claimed this post was "rabble rousing", and frosted me with other common partisan blogs. In response let me simply state; This blog is not a forum for political discourse or opinion, while my opinions will surely color my writing, I take great pains to focus on sci-tech subject matter. Much of today's technology and science is by nature "subversive" but I have no political agenda with this site. I leave you with this:

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both. (Not my writing, but that of the 4th president of the united states James Madison.)

No comments: