5.12.2003

Back to the Past With DiCaprio as Micheal J. Fox, and Hanks as the Proffessor?

All futurist have a fascination with the past, as we hurtle towards the technology rich gene-set we look back at yesteryears jet-set.
My wife and I give huge praise to the Steven Spielberg movie "Catch Me if You Can" with Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. Not only is it a well done drama on the real life/semi fictitious story of check fraud guru gone FBI expert Frank Abagnale Jr., it is one of the best period pieces I have seen in a long time. The plot effectively takes you through the end of the 1950's up to the 1970's in way that is entirely transparent, the subtly of which is likely lost on many but not this viewer, it connected me on some subconscious way with my national heritage and past, being that I was born in the 60's it had the effect of helping me to look backward and forward at the same time. I agree with this review that the perfect contrast to light hearted retro Catch Me if You Can is the dark futuristic Minority Report. If not for any other reason see this movie just for the retro value.
Other retro movie I want to see: "Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind" stay tuned.

No comments: